Monday, April 7, 2008

Traumatic yet sympathetic(project experience)

Now, I feel like Einstein. Three months of 'so called' project in my core subject and it is done once for all. By mentioning Einstein, I wasn't referring to the brains or even the experiment but my hair has just turned out that way with ample sunshine everyday..he he.

It all began last year with HOD demanding that we find a sensible project in some good company. But the point is that the GOOD company had to take us!!But who listens??Like the intrepid and daring travellers, my friend and me first started searching for a project and almost begged for it towards the end(ok ok ,no details on that).As we are the future telecom engineers(with us as the engineers , I doubt if the telecom has any future?!?!),we started with the same industry i.e. AIRTEL,BSNL(they gave projects to both computer science and information technology students but not for ECE) and AIRCEL.All denied our requests by simply saying that the labs have tight security and allowing us would be dangerous.Poor things,they really didnt know our abilties.After telecom,our destinations were predictable-WIPRO,PANASONIC and BPCL.Each of them had their own excuses .After all that search,we became desperate because it was almost project period .Suddenly the idea of asking at the Chennai Port Trust hit us.But what has an Electronics engineer to do in a port?When we put forth the same question to our HOD,she simply said that our seniors had done projects there.That was enough and two almost exhausted nuts reached there the very next day.

The first day at the port was the most unforgettable. Hey, of course not in a good sense.What happened was that the bonafide from our college costs us (can you beat that??..yup,20 solid bucks for each bonafide) and we have a habit of submitting the xerox at all places.We did the same at the port.The director was so strict and he found out that is was not the original.The reaction-he flung it in the air!!And my friend did some gymnastics and caught it in mid air while I stood frozen staring at his face.I found myself shivering and was quite happy to see my friends hand trembling too.After certain initial blasts he finally allowed us to do a project there.However he warned us that the projects would be old and not very useful for average scorers (ya,the average scorers) but we agreed because we needed a company certificate.We were asked to meet his minions and the usual running around the place began.The only thing I don't like in Chennai is the sun and it was unusually scorching at that time(what at that time..cha..all the time) and we turned very much the darker shade.When we enquired about the title and the projects offered,they weren't good and one of the supervisors hinted that we could get help somewhere.That was it!!the next day we were in search of a project centre(ya,the same place where you almost get the project done).To be frank,it wasn't our laziness or languid nature but our aim was to complete our project successfully with an output.As recommended by our HOD,we hit a centre at Nandanam and chose the embedded field.

The tragic story part-two began here.I really don't know why but we had problems with everything-with coding,output,slides and enhancements.We hit the centre almost everyday either fighting them or simply what I call negotiating and occasionally gave attendance at the port to show our progress.Our guide at the port was very flexible and friendly.The certificate was assured.

But the problem at college did not end.HOD found our project too simple and demanded enhancement.Thanks to Jimmy Wales,Wikipedia is a boon.We searched the net for all possible enhancements (and occasionally sneaked into orkut..he he) and found one totally hilarious -something like a loud speaker.We got the entire circuit from one of the electronics sites.The HOD wasn’t all that impressed but it was the best we could find.

Hey!How could I forget the reviews?It was a classic performance-a big time comedy(well you guessed the jesters:)).We made everyone happy(ya ya,they laughed their heart’s content)-HOD,staffs and even our juniors(now,I am waiting for their turn:)) .We say something and they laugh.So,all the reviews went on this way(and I still wonder why we spent time on the slides when no one was interested).It was during the end of project that we found our enhancement not compatible and a big thanks goes to our classmate who pointed out that it wasn’t possible(Thank god that some technical guys do exist).It was as usual the last minute galata and we needed to get it done somehow.The solution was obvious-the ritche street(for people who aren’t aware of ritche street-it isn’t just a street but a long stretch of road at Chennai where absolutely any electronic gadget is available).

Here began our tragic story part three.When we got down from the bus,we didn’t know into which corner we turned but our heads and the corners began to spin at the same time.We went into every shop we could find but the IC wasn’t available.The enhancement idea was dropped(and we made a point to buy a couple of ear plugs for the reasons everyone can find out).

The project at the centre was done(with lot of persuasion and slogging) and when the kit were in our hands ,we felt like warrior princesses.With a smile stuck on to our faces, we proceeded to get the certificate at the port.That guy was a sweet heart. He simply looked at our project and was satisfied with our efforts and the certificate was issued within an hour.Now,for the report.All we had to do was fill pages with what we had done.More the pages ,more you have slogged-that was the general idea. After 7 semesters at our University ,that wasn’t going to be hard.After referring to many old reports, we finally got ours done.

We planned to take the print out at Kodabakkam-supposed to be cheap and fast .The grave mistake we did was to go there the day before our submission. I have seen queues at passport office, ration and even near water pumps but this was the first time I saw queue at all Xerox shops. ‘Wait for half an hour to one hour’ was the standard reply.We finally managed to get into(actually crammed into and considering my size, it was a bit comical) one of them.After time moved like snail,we got ours done. Though we both weren’t entirely satisfied ,didn’t mention that to each other. It was very late in the evening when we gave the print out for binding.I left the place earlier and my friend waited.We got only one book bound as the place was crowded.

The project is almost over and it looks like half the battle is won.The final review is yet to be done and think it wont be much of a problem(as always,saying is easy).

When we were doing the things and working, it seemed hectic and irascible but after all that is done, I think I enjoyed every moment. Hmmm…Life is that way:)


Anonymous said...

haha... great comedy.. espescially i liked that bonafide certificate part.. I just hope some of these were exaggerated.. else you have come through some pretty rough period.

subs said...

It's put up here as experienced:)..Thanks for the

Anonymous said...

It was a long day for me and I casually checked your blog and LoL.. I could not control the laughter though you said you have suffered.. Nice narration.. seems like a good stuff for a movie.. ;)